Magento by default does not provide categories export and import feature. This is one of the major drawbacks in Magento. But, thanks to some really passionate developers, it has been really easy to import – export categories in Magento, also subcategories as well.
I have found a post while searching for the same task required for one of the Magento projects, where client wanted to migrate store from WooCommerce to Magento, using the csv export plugin for WooCommerce, I exported a csv from WooCommerce and then with the help of the Magento extension, I could really easily import all categories and subcategories that saved my lot of manual work before importing products.
Here are the steps :
- Download the extension from here, or directly from Import-Export Categories
- Unzip the file, copy+paste both ‘app’ and ‘skin’ folders to root of your Magento installation, if the folder will ask for overwrite, click OK
- If already logged in to Magento admin, clear store cache, OR remove var/cache folder, then logout and login again to Magento Admin
- After login, on top of your admin panel, you will see MageWorks menu besides CMS, you can now see options to import and export category and directory name where to upload or download the csv files. See image below :
- Create proper csv file and upload to var/import/category folder as shown in image, then press Submit, you will see all categories imported successfully in few seconds.
I will upload the sample csv structure soon.